Posted January 17, 2019 in Court Updates
The Los Angeles Superior Court has transitioned to the next phase of providing for mandatory eFiling for all limited and unlimited jurisdiction civil cases. eFiling provides efficiencies and enhances the Court’s ability to maintain complete and easily accessible records.
There is only a mandatory phase for eFiling Complex Civil documents. Prior to implementation of this mandatory phase, documents may be presented for filing at the clerk’s office or may be submitted via fax filing. Attorneys must eFile documents as of the dates marked as mandatory.
Note: The Court has set a new date for mandatory eFiling for complex cases, which is April 1, 2019, as indicated in the charts below.
Please find the official court notice HERE
Best Practices: eFiling in Los Angeles
If your company offers Concierge service for electronic filings to your customers, you will find some helpful information below to help your staff and your customers avoid possible rejections from the court.
Case Initiation Filings
- When Filing New or Subsequent documents always use an e-signature or scanned signature as the court is rejecting even though CRC 2.257 allows for this type of signature for filing (Example: Documents containing /S/ John Doe on the signature line instead of a real signature have been rejected)
- If any information is missing/inaccurate/incomplete the filing will be rejected
- Be sure to enter all parties exactly as they appear on the complaint (Does are not required)
- Be sure to choose the correct case type (i.e. Personal injury/Property Damage/Wrongful Death – Uninsured Motorist is not the same as Motor Vehicle -Personal injury/Property Damage/Wrongful Death)
- Make sure the Summons and Complaint party names match each other exactly
- Submit the Civil Case Cover Sheet and Civil Case Cover Sheet Addendum as one PDF document
- Make sure all forms are filled out completely and are not missing any information Clerks will not fill in missing or mistyped information on data entry
- Make sure you have the correct number circled or checked on your Civil Case Cover Sheet Addendum in order to file in Los Angeles Central court
- If any information is missing/inaccurate/incomplete the filing will be kicked
- If a party or an attorney are first appearing on the case be sure to add them in the Case Participants section if they are not already listed
- Be sure to label your document type correctly. An incorrect document type will be rejected by the court
- Bookmark your exhibits and make sure the document is text-searchable (OCR)
- Make sure the document uploaded is legible. Anything dark, illegible or fuzzy looking will be kicked
- Verify that the correct statutory fees populate on your eFiling